Tuesday, September 23, 2014

30 in 30 Challenge, Day 22, "Layers of Pink"

Layers of Pink, 5x5in.Oil on Arches Oil Paper,
Painted from life--Alla Prima


NFS
( Will be available when I mount it or place in a mat frame)


Layers of Pink

Layers of pink merge together to create an elegant garden guest.

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald ©



Today's painting is a little different than the previous ones I posted for the 3o in 3o painting challenge. I decided to try out arches oil paper as a painting surface. It is an amazing paper that you can paint on directly using oils and it won't buckle and distort in shape. It is very durable, allowing for markings with a knife etc.

It was much different than painting on linen and definitely takes some getting use to! It does absorb the paint to a certain degree, so I felt this was an area I had to make adjustments. I also found I worked more transparently in some passages. I knew I could go back later and place more opaque paint on these areas if needed.

I can see great promise for this paper for me in the future! I thought it would be great for painting quick oil sketches and for jotting down color notes etc. beside the sketch. I could then place all these studies in a binder when dry. For example, I could see myself painting quick oil studies on location of evening clouds etc. These studies would be really beneficial for both practice and future studio work.

I found a wonderful tutorial by Peter Fiore on creating an oil painting on arches paper. Also, on the bottom of that page there is a link for a tutorial on mounting your paper on hardboard by Michael Chesley Johnson.  There are also other methods of mounting oil paper to hardboard different than Michael's approach. 

If you are interested, here is a link for a video on Arches Oil paper. Quite a fascinating paper if you are an oil painter!

The pink rose was picked from my garden and painted from life. Some of my roses are still blooming! I'm enjoying viewing their beauty as fall marches on.

Warmly,
Debbie


Quick Links:


Imagekind --for reproductions
Fine Art America--for reproductions

Newsletter/Blog Posts sign up--Love to have you join me on my artistic journey!




2 comments:

  1. I've painted on gessoed paper before, and on Colorfix, and stone paper, but I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Linda! I'm glad it was helpful--it really is amazing paper. Appreciate your visit and comment!

      Delete

Facebook Comments